Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Model 5's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member marksat's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2006
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I hope I'm in the right forum with this question (politely advise if not):

    Are my c.1975 Altec Lansing Model 5 home speakers worth keeping and rebuilding the cones? Or, is my time and money better spent elsewhere?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    If your talking reconing the 12" woofers I think it's worth it.If your mid range tweeter and HF tweeter are damaged then those would have to be replaced by a substitute. But since you have the cabinets sometimes there are substitutes for HF tweeters that are worth it.

    I can't name brands but if you look at scandinavians tweeters and mid range they are resonable in price and seem to go well with Altecs.You will end up with softer highs.

    A recone job for 12 " total spider, cone ,Coil;
    is around 150$ . Best thing is to send them to GPA to match the voicing of both speakers .What I mean is have both reconed.

    .........................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    This is obviously a very subjective call, I mean these equate to some of today's Costco, etc., speaker offerings IMO, so if you liked how they performed before going bad and don't want to invest much $$ into something different, then spending a few $$ to fix them is worthwhile, but for someone like me that prefers the much more accurate sound of big Altec or similar horn loaded systems, then its a waste of $$.

    WRT to its collectible value, don't have a clue, though I wouldn't think it would be worth much except to a serious collector that wants a pristine pair of one of everything Altec produced since these were originally released to try and take back some of their entry level market share lost to Sony, Sansui, Technics, etc..

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.